Gratitude is such an important and overlooked power.
In fact, I almost missed it when I was writing my book.
But then, as I was writing the chapter on Vision, I realized how much of an oversight it would be to teach Vision without teaching on Gratitude first.
Because as Vision, which we will cover in more detail tomorrow, is the fuel that creates tomorrow’s reality today; Gratitude is the spark that ignites it.
We get more of what we Focus on and, when we focus on all that we are grateful for, instead of things we are not, we get more things to be grateful for.
So you can see how Gratitude and Vision work hand in hand.
Like all the Superpowers, Gratitude gets easier the more you practice it. Enjoy today’s excerpt from my book.
And don’t forget to sign up here if you’d like a copy of the book when it comes available. My publisher says we are in phase two and it should be available soon!
By the way, you can get more info and register for a 2 week free trial and orientation program on our website, and with Summer only a few weeks away, here is some info on our summer camp program too!
Prepare To Live; Empower To Lead!
Grand Master Stephen J. Del Castillo
Author, Motivational Teacher, MBA, 7th Degree Blackbelt
Founder & Chief Master Instructor, Krav Maga Martial Arts
“If you make your prayers an expression of gratitude and thanksgiving for the blessings you already have, instead of requests for things you do not have, you will obtain results much faster.”
This month is gratitude month at KMMA. We teach a different Blackbelt Excellence (which is to say secret to success) every month and this is one of my favorites. In a world that can sometimes lend itself to entitlement mentality and a focus on what we want, rather than what we have, this lesson is such an important reminder for all of us as well as such a formative lesson especially for our youth.
In this blog, and from the mat this month, we will focus on five specific reasons that an attitude of gratitude is important.
- We get more of what we focus on: one of the superpowers that we teach at KMMA is FOCUS. Focus is the ability to block distraction and concentrate on what’s important. This in and of itself makes it one of our most important excellences. But we also get more of what we focus on. As this is the case, the practice of gratitude for what we already have is an absolute prerequisite for getting more of what we want. When we focus gratitude for what blessings that we already have, we open the door for more blessings. When we focus instead on our problems, we get more problems.
- Grateful people are happier people: an attitude of gratitude is healthy. If you don’t believe me, just try it. Consciously and deliberately think about all the things you have to be grateful for. If you have your health, a roof over your head and adequate food to eat, you are more blessed than most of the world. If you also have freedom of speech and freedom of religion, freedom to work and the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, you are really blessed. If you have some people that love you and some free time and/or money to do some things other than the bare minimum of things required for survival, you are really rich. This is not to say we should become satisfied with where we are at and cease trying to be better, but only grateful. As alluded to in point one, this attitude begets more to be grateful for. Back to the exercise though, think of all the blessings you have and/or even make a list. For the purpose of the exercise you must also have the discipline to suspend thoughts about what you don’t yet have, or anything you perceive not to be grateful for; then ruminate in the feelings around all you have to be grateful for. Be grateful for the people that bless you, the environment you enjoy, and the myriad blessings of God. Allow yourself to feel the happiness that comes from focus on gratitude instead of want. Then do more of that.
- The people around grateful people are happier people. While I seldom teach from the negative perspective, it will be useful in this instance. Have you ever spent considerable time with a really negative person? Do you know someone that sucks the air right out of the room when they enter it? We won’t spend any time talking about that person other than to say this- we must constantly strive not to be like he or she. An attitude of gratitude keeps us positive, upbeat, cheerful and friendly. Gratitude creates an energy that is attractive to be around.
- Gratitude begets gratitude. The more we practice being grateful, the more grateful we will be. Also, our own grateful attitude can be contagious, and help others focus on their blessings instead of their challenges as well.
- It is right and just and the will of God: “Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.” 1 Thessalonians 5:18
I for one am so grateful. In addition to all the blessings I enjoy daily, I am grateful that you took the time to read this book. A writer without a reader is only talking to himself (though that is useful as pertains to this subject as well). I am grateful that I have a great team and great students and a mission that gets me out of bed every morning. I am grateful to go now into this day and hopefully be a blessing in other people’s lives and give them more to be grateful for. Thank you. Now take some time, alone or better yet with your family, to comment on some things that you are grateful for.
Founded in 2000 by Grandmaster Stephen J. Del Castillo, a 7th degree Black Belt and Sr. Master Instructor, Krav Maga Martial Arts and Karate lessons for pre-school children ages 3-6 and elementary age kids ages 7 and up are designed to develop the critical building blocks kids need – specialized for their age group – for school excellence and later success in life.
Krav Maga Martial Arts Adult Krav Maga training is a complete adult self defense, fitness, and conditioning program for adults who want to learn real world self defense, lose weight, and/or get (and stay in shape).
If you have any questions about our program, or would like to go ahead redeem your 2 weeks FREE, you can call us anytime at 813-547-6368 or visit our Krav Maga Martial Arts website.
About Grandmaster Stephen J. Del Castillo: Grandmaster Del Castillo is the founding Master Instructor of Krav Maga Martial Arts and has been empowering lives in Pasco and Hillsborough Counties since October of 2000. He is a 7th degree Blackbelt, MBA, author, mentor and success coach, a US Army Veteran and a proud father and grandfather. He is married to Ms. Barbara Del Castillo who helps him run the school. Grand Master Del Castillo began his training in the early 80’s and has high level blackbelts in Tae Kwon Do, Karate, Premier Martial Arts and Krav Maga Martial Arts as well as experience in kickboxing, Jeet Kune Do and Jiujitsu. He has high level instructor certifications from BBSI, IKMF, and KMG and has been featured in numerous Martial Arts publications and also Success magazine. He was a competitive sport karate and American Kickboxing instructor until he enlisted in the US Army where he served in the 82nd Airborne Division, where he won an Army Green to Gold scholarship and proceeded to ROTC and the University of Tampa. He was commisioned in 1992 and went on to serve in Germany with the 3rd Infantry Division and then in several other posts in the US until he left military service to pursue his dream of creating KMMA in 2000.
The Krav MagaMartial Arts Headquarters is in Lutz, FL at 1900 Land O’ Lakes Blvd., 33549. Krav Maga Martial Arts serves Lutz, Land O’ Lakes, Wesley Chapel, and surrounding areas.