The secret sauce
Last week I was sitting with a father renewing he and his son to our Blackbelt Leadership Training program. He and his son had set the goal to become Blackbelt Leaders and were ready to take their next step. Dad shared a secret with me, informing me that his son had severe ADHD and some other challenges that had made him unsure if he would stick to training. He told me that he had often begun things that he was initially excited about but that usually something would happen that would make him shutdown and then not want to come any more.
Then he hit upon the secret sauce that makes KMMA unique: he said of his son’s interactions with my Team, “he always leaves so encouraged, inspired and empowered”. “It’s different than anything we’ve ever experienced before”.
Krav Maga Martial Arts teaches the most practical self defense system in the world; we develop Focus, Respect, Discipline, Confidence, Gratitude and Vision. Students become more fit and develop grit, perseverance and other success skills that help them accomplish their goals.
All of this and more is part of the Blackbelt Leadership Success system to Blackbelt and beyond.
But there is a secret sauce that makes my KMMA Blackbelt Leaders do it better than anyone else anywhere else and I say this proudly and confidently.
The secret sauce is this: we use positive reinforcement, encouragement and empowerment to help the student become who they may be. We see them not as they are, but as they can be, and then build on their strengths and help them overcome their challenges. We train them to become the best and highest versions of themselves, and we do so in a special way that makes them believe in themselves and see the future for themselves that we see in them; and then we empower them with the attributes and leadership skills to help them realize the Vision they create.
I share this secret with you for a few reasons:
- For my students and parents of students to understand the process. Remember, Excellence happens daily, but not in a day.
- To encourage future students. Remember, everyone has some developmental challenge. They shy student needs Confidence, the distracted Focus and the unruly Discipline (self control). We all have areas we are working on. The work is to identify what’s important next (WIN) and set about it. As Bruce Lee once said, we should “make our strengths stronger and our weaknesses cease to be liabilities”. But like all things, this won’t do itself. Each and all of us must take the next steps towards becoming who we may be. The journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step. You can take your first step here.
- To speak to my fellow leaders, teachers, parents and remind them that so much of a child’s future is determined by what we say, do and model in their youth. We have a responsibility to give them the tools and attitude to succeed in the world. But there is a process. I teach my instructors to “develop champions from the inside out”.
- Step one is to develop the child’s belief in themselves and trust in our teachers.
- Step two is to develop Focus, Respect, Discipline, Confidence, Gratitude and Vision to succeed. These are the Blackbelt Leadership success attributes I have coined as The Blackbelt Foundational Superpowers, discussed in my first book and developed in our KMMA Basic Training and Blackbelt Leadership program.
- Step three is simultaneous really with steps one and two; we also develop the fitness, martial arts skills and leadership lessons that will support the students’ success in the dojo and in life.
All leaders (teachers, parents and other coaches/examples) would do well to embrace the same process. Meet the student where they are at, and then lead them to where they ultimately want to go (even in the case where they don’t realize it yet).
The amazing result is a confident and competent leader that not only is prepared to live and empowered to lead in their own life, but also to help lead other future leaders to the same.
Prepare To Live; Empower To Lead!
Grand Master Stephen J. Del Castillo
Author, Motivational Teacher, MBA, 7th Degree Blackbelt
Founder & Chief Master Instructor, Krav Maga Martial Arts
Available Soon! (the book).
The KMMA Superhero Team is available today! 813-948-4844 to schedule your free provate intro & orientation with a KMMA Blackbelt Superhero!
TampaKravMaga.com and Krav Maga Martial Arts have been empowering lives through the martial arts in the Tampa Bay area for 20 years!
Founded in 2000 by Grandmaster Stephen J. Del Castillo, a 7th degree Black Belt and Sr. Master Instructor, Krav Maga Martial Arts and Karate lessons for pre-school children ages 3-6 and elementary age kids ages 7 and up are designed to develop the critical building blocks kids need – specialized for their age group – for school excellence and later success in life.
Krav Maga Martial Arts Adult Krav Maga training is a complete adult self defense, fitness, and conditioning program for adults who want to learn real world self defense, lose weight, and/or get (and stay in shape).
If you have any questions about our program, or would like to go ahead redeem your 2 weeks FREE, you can call us anytime at 813-547-6368 or visit our Krav Maga Martial Arts website.
About Grandmaster Stephen J. Del Castillo: Grandmaster Del Castillo is the founding Master Instructor of Krav Maga Martial Arts and has been empowering lives in Pasco and Hillsborough Counties since October of 2000. He is a 7th degree Blackbelt, MBA, author, mentor and success coach, a US Army Veteran and a proud father and grandfather. He is married to Ms. Barbara Del Castillo who helps him run the school. Grand Master Del Castillo began his training in the early 80’s and has high level blackbelts in Tae Kwon Do, Karate, Premier Martial Arts and Krav Maga Martial Arts as well as experience in kickboxing, Jeet Kune Do and Jiujitsu. He has high level instructor certifications from BBSI, IKMF, and KMG and has been featured in numerous Martial Arts publications and also Success magazine. He was a competitive sport karate and American Kickboxing instructor until he enlisted in the US Army where he served in the 82nd Airborne Division, where he won an Army Green to Gold scholarship and proceeded to ROTC and the University of Tampa. He was commisioned in 1992 and went on to serve in Germany with the 3rd Infantry Division and then in several other posts in the US until he left military service to pursue his dream of creating KMMA in 2000.
The Krav MagaMartial Arts Headquarters is in Lutz, FL at 1900 Land O’ Lakes Blvd., 33549. Krav Maga Martial Arts serves Lutz, Land O’ Lakes, Wesley Chapel, and surrounding areas.
Also, check us out on Fun4TampaKids & on Go2Karate.com