Reasons Come first; answers come second.
Tony’s quote above connotes a few important meanings:
- if our why is big enough, we can always figure out how.
- the importance of asking the right questions.
- a man who has a why can bear any how.
- the absolute power of FOCUS!
Each of these is a great topic, lesson, and blog in and of itself, but today I want to focus on focus.
Now, I know I talk about this word a lot.
Heck, Focus is the first of the Blackbelt Superpowers that I coined for my book and, of course, the Blackbelt Leadership Program on which it and all my work is Focused. See what I did there? 😉
We know that Focus is the first superpower because it enables all the rest, that energy flows where Focus goes and that, at the most basic level, focus is the ability to block out distractions and concentrate on what’s important.
Today I want to give you a very practical application, and exercise, to help you harness the power of Focus in your own life.
I am going to speak a little, but say a lot, and then leave you with the question, exercise, and challenge for YOU to finish the work yourself.
You see, if we know what we are looking for, we will find it. Seek and you will find.
Therefore we have to be careful what we are looking for (focusing on and attracting) and, once we get that part under control (or while perhaps), also ask the right questions to deliberately, purposefully and powerfully create the realities we want in our life!
I’ll be teaching on this more precisely all next week, by the way, but let’s get focused now. oops, I did it again.
So, here’s the exercise and the challenge:
- Answer this question: where are you now and where do you want to go?
- Take time with this question because the answer is “the gap”. By identifying the gap between your current place and where you want to go, you will be able to derive purpose, chart direction and answer questions…
- You will activate your reticular activation system, and “find what you are looking for”.
- You will Focus your focus and send energy towards creating the outcomes you want instead of creating those that you don’t. (Topic for a different lesson, but worrying is life praying for what you don’t want in advance.)
- If you are ambitious, you can answer the question to identify the gap in each of the 7 life mastery categories (or whichever you choose). These are: your physical body, health, and energy; emotions and meaning; relationships; time; career and Mission; finance; contribution and spirituality.
- Challenge: What are you going to do about the revelation you receive from answering that question? How will you “fill the gaps”?
I’d love to help.
If you’d like more information on my Blackbelt Leadership Program for youth, adults, and families, visit TampaKravMaga.com
By the way, I am a teacher and a student of all of this.
I have been working on my own gaps, and making them smaller, for decades! And I still am, and always will be.
Progress equals happiness.
Prepare To Live; empower To Lead!
Grand Master Stephen J. Del Castillo
Author, MBA & 7th Degree Blackbelt
Founder & Chief Master Instructor,
Krav Maga Martial Arts
About Grandmaster Stephen J. Del Castillo: Grandmaster Del Castillo is the founding Master Instructor of Krav Maga Martial Arts and has been empowering lives in Pasco and Hillsborough Counties since October of 2000. He is a 7th degree Blackbelt, MBA, author, mentor and success coach, a US Army Veteran and a proud father and grandfather. He is married to Ms. Barbara Del Castillo who helps him run the school. Grand Master Del Castillo began his training in the early 80’s and has high level blackbelts in Tae Kwon Do, Karate, Premier Martial Arts and Krav Maga Martial Arts as well as experience in kickboxing, Jeet Kune Do and Jiujitsu. He has high level instructor certifications from BBSI, IKMF, and KMG and has been featured in numerous Martial Arts publications and also Success magazine. He was a competitive sport karate and American Kickboxing instructor until he enlisted in the US Army where he served in the 82nd Airborne Division, where he won an Army Green to Gold scholarship and proceeded to ROTC and the University of Tampa. He was commissioned in 1992 and went on to serve in Germany with the 3rd Infantry Division and then in several other posts in the US until he left military service to pursue his dream of creating KMMA in 2000.
The Krav MagaMartial Arts Headquarters is in Lutz, FL at 1900 Land O’ Lakes Blvd., 33549. Krav Maga Martial Arts serves Lutz, Land O’ Lakes, Wesley Chapel, and surrounding areas.
See stephendelcastillo.com for more information and to order my book, Developing Your Superpower, Meditations on Mastery, Volume 1.