Ask Better Questions
Two of my favorite Blackbelt Leadership lessons we teach at Krav Maga Martial Arts are that life is 10% what happens and 90% how we react to that, and that everything happens for a reason and serves me well.
Recently, I discovered that the latter is one is just as true as we make it to be…
in other words, it’s an incredibly powerful leadership principal, but only works if we know how to work it.
One of the main ways is to control the quality of our questions.
- If some pattern happens to us again and again, we must ask why- in the positive and productive way that acknowledges our ownership of it.
- We must also ask ourselves; how can I make this thing that happened serve me well.
For example, if I must change my plans to react to something happening in my organization, I used to let it disturb me.
Now I ask both those questions:
- why is this happening and what do I do to minimize the chance of it happening again, and
- what can I do to make the most out of the new plan.
In a recent example I must cover the floor tonight.
- as I develop more and more qualified instructors, a couple out sick won’t mean I have to choose that,
- those students are going to get some amazing classes- and maybe some future Sensei are even in them!
- I contacted a few of my best future Sensei to let them know they get to share the floor with me tonight. So, I get to sow into them, and helping them become the amazing Sensei they are destined to be.
This makes it a win for them, and for me.
Everything happens for a reason, and it serves me well. 🙂
Prepare To Live; Empower To Lead!
Grand Master Stephen J. Del Castillo
Founding Master Instructor, Krav Maga Martial Arts
Did you get to watch/listen to my podcast interview of Michelle Cummings we recorded yeasterday! She’s an amazing mom, a VP, CPA and Comptroller at USF, and an awesome Blackbelt Leader who’s testing for her 3rd degree next weekend! Check out the podcast here.
About Grandmaster Stephen J. Del Castillo: Grandmaster Del Castillo is the founding Master Instructor of Krav Maga Martial Arts and has been empowering lives in Pasco and Hillsborough Counties since October of 2000. He is a 7th degree Blackbelt, MBA, author, mentor and success coach, a US Army Veteran and a proud father and grandfather. He is married to Ms. Barbara Del Castillo who helps him run the school. Grand Master Del Castillo began his training in the early 80’s and has high level blackbelts in Tae Kwon Do, Karate, Premier Martial Arts and Krav Maga Martial Arts as well as experience in kickboxing, Jeet Kune Do and Jiujitsu. He has high level instructor certifications from BBSI, IKMF, and KMG and has been featured in numerous Martial Arts publications and also Success magazine. He was a competitive sport karate and American Kickboxing instructor until he enlisted in the US Army where he served in the 82nd Airborne Division, where he won an Army Green to Gold scholarship and proceeded to ROTC and the University of Tampa. He was commissioned in 1992 and went on to serve in Germany with the 3rd Infantry Division and then in several other posts in the US until he left military service to pursue his dream of creating KMMA in 2000.
The Krav MagaMartial Arts Headquarters is in Lutz, FL at 1900 Land O’ Lakes Blvd., 33549. Krav Maga Martial Arts serves Lutz, Land O’ Lakes, Wesley Chapel, and surrounding areas.
See stephendelcastillo.com for more information and to order my book, Developing Your Superpower, Meditations on Mastery, Volume 1.
Also, check us out on Fun4TampaKids & on Go2Karate.com