Discipline = Freedom
The modern day philosopher and former Navy Seal Jocko Willink says that Discipline=Freedom.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
It is the foundation upon which all success is built.
It’s what keeps us going towards the accomplishment of a worthy goal, long after the excitement in which we set the goal wears away.
and it’s totally critical to becoming a blackbelt…
The great news is that on the way to becoming a Blackbelt, you are developing the Discipline muscle, and by the time you are a confident and competent Blackbelt Leader, your Discipline will be strong, and one of the tools in your toolbox for a successful and fulfilling life!
So how do we develop Discipline at KMMA?
- You work hard doing hard things. Over time, they get easier, and you can take on more hard things.
- You come to class, even and especially, when you don’t want to.
- You do your acts of self discipline worksheets. I challenge you to complete at least one full sheet and get that medal every quarter!
- You never quit. The great coach and philosopher, Vince Lombardi, said: “winning is a habit, and unfortunately so is losing”. In developing the Discipline superpower, you are developing the habit of winning by developing the habit of finishing what you start.
In closing, I’ll share a quote from the late great Jim Rohn:
“Everyone suffers one of two pains- the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. Discipline weighs ounces, and regret weighs tons.”
So choose wisely, choose discipline, and live a life of the freedom that this choice provides.
Prepare To Live; Empower To Lead!
Here is your Discipline homework:
if you’re not a student yet, and realize that you and/or your kids could use some help developing your Discipline muscle:
Click here for your 2 week free trial and orientation program, or call 813-948-4844.
If you are a student:
1. Grab and start working on your Self-Discipline worksheet this week and complete 3-5 acts of self Discipline. If you complete the whole sheet, turn it in so we can get you scheduled for your Discipline medal at the next graduation!
2. Be prepared to share with your Sensei this week one thing that you know you need to focus more Discipline on. i.e. I need to have my uniform, belt and equipment ready and get to class on time, or do my homework first thing after school or get my daily workout, reading or other commitment done, or stop eating so much sugar or whatever. pro-tip: look at your goals for this year and pick some habits that you need to develop, through Discipline, that will help you get your goal.
Congrats to everyone who made it to my Certified Instructor Training (CIT) this weekend! We did some great work together! Proud of and grateful for you!
About Grandmaster Stephen J. Del Castillo: Grandmaster Del Castillo is the founding Master Instructor of Krav Maga Martial Arts and has been empowering lives in Pasco and Hillsborough Counties since October of 2000. He is a 7th degree Blackbelt, MBA, author, mentor and success coach, a US Army Veteran and a proud father and grandfather. He is married to Ms. Barbara Del Castillo who helps him run the school. Grand Master Del Castillo began his training in the early 80’s and has high level blackbelts in Tae Kwon Do, Karate, Premier Martial Arts and Krav Maga Martial Arts as well as experience in kickboxing, Jeet Kune Do and Jiujitsu. He has high level instructor certifications from BBSI, IKMF, and KMG and has been featured in numerous Martial Arts publications and also Success magazine. He was a competitive sport karate and American Kickboxing instructor until he enlisted in the US Army where he served in the 82nd Airborne Division, where he won an Army Green to Gold scholarship and proceeded to ROTC and the University of Tampa. He was commissioned in 1992 and went on to serve in Germany with the 3rd Infantry Division and then in several other posts in the US until he left military service to pursue his dream of creating KMMA in 2000.
The Krav MagaMartial Arts Headquarters is in Lutz, FL at 1900 Land O’ Lakes Blvd., 33549. Krav Maga Martial Arts serves Lutz, Land O’ Lakes, Wesley Chapel, and surrounding areas.
See stephendelcastillo.com for more information and to order my book, Developing Your Superpower, Meditations on Mastery, Volume 1.